Lesson plan developed by Ms. Erika Geelhoed, BA Ed
* Lesson plan objective and assessment can be adapted to use this activity with preschoolers.
- develop gross motor skill of overhand throwing
- participate in cooperative play with other students
The student acquires the knowledge and skills necessary to maintain an active life: Movement, physical fitness, and nutrition
- 1.1.3 Demonstrates mature form in manipulative skills that contribute to movement proficiency.
- Large tarp
- Different sized footballs
- Duct tape
- Permanent marker
- Prepare for the activity by creating the target board that students will throw footballs through. Use the ruler and permanent marker to create different sized shapes on the large tarp.
- Cut out theses shapes and label them with different point values using the paint. When dry, put duct tape around the boarder of each of the holes. This will prevent the tarp from tearing.
- Hang the tarp in an appropriate area.
- After showing students how to throw the footballs correctly, encourage them to practice on their own using the target.
- Observe and record the student’s overhand throwing skills. Were they able to throw the ball correctly? **Do not assess students on how many points they were able to score. This lesson is about proper throwing technique.
Click on the course icon for enrollment information.