Football Target Practice
Lesson plan developed by Ms. Erika Geelhoed, BA Ed
* Lesson plan objective and assessment can be adapted to use this activity with preschoolers.
- develop gross motor skill of overhand throwing.
- participate in cooperative play with other children.
The student acquires the knowledge and skills necessary to maintain an active life: Movement, physical fitness, and nutrition
- 1.1.3 Demonstrates mature form in manipulative skills that contribute to movement proficiency.
- large tarp
- different sized footballs
- duct tape
- permanent marker
- Prepare for the activity by creating the target board that the children will throw footballs through.
- Use the ruler and permanent marker to create different sized shapes on the large tarp.
- Cut out theses shapes and label them with different point values using the paint.
- When dry, put duct tape around the boarder of each of the holes.
- This will prevent the tarp from tearing.
- Hang the tarp in an appropriate area.
- After showing the children how to throw the footballs correctly, encourage them to practice on their own using the target.
- Observe and record the children's overhand throwing skills. Were they able to throw the ball correctly? **Do not assess the children on how many points they were able to score. This lesson is about proper throwing technique.
Click on the course icon for enrollment information.