Coffee Filter Umbrellas
Lesson plan developed by Ms. Erika Geelhoed, BA Ed
* Lesson plan objective and assessment can be adapted to use this activity with preschoolers.
- Read Raindrop, Plop! to the children.
- Be sure to use engaging and expressive voices and gestures to hold their attention.
- When finished, make your umbrella by encouraging children to color on the coffee filter using the washable markers.
- As the children is coloring, you can practice new vocabulary words that were introduced in the story such as “umbrella," “raindrop,” and “clouds”
- Mist the coffee filter with the spray bottle to blend the colors together.
- Allow to dry.
- Fold the coffee filter and half and tape together.
- Add a handle using the construction paper.
- Display children’s umbrellas around the classroom.
- Observe and record the children’s fine motor skills. How well were they able to control the marker? Did they attempt to repeat any of the new vocabulary words back to you?
Note: Please provide appropriate supervision to the children in your care when completing all activities. You will need to decide what types of activities are safe for the children in your care. Appropriate and reasonable caution should be used when providing art and sensory experiences for children. Toddlers require special caution, only use non-toxic materials, and do not allow toddlers to put things in their mouths that are a choking hazard.
Click on the course icon for enrollment information.