Lesson plan developed by Ms. Erika Geelhoed, BA Ed
* Lesson plan objective and assessment can be adapted to use this activity with preschoolers.
- Prepare for the activity by cutting the thick paper into a pumpkin-like shape.
- Place it inside the Ziplock bag along with some orange paint.
- Seal the bag closed with the duct tape.
- Introduce the bag to the children and encourage them to paint using their fingers.
- As they are working, practice new vocabulary words with them that are relevant to the activity.
- When they are finished, remove the paper and allow to dry.
- Add some vines to the pumpkin using the green paper.
- Display the children’s work.
- You can create a pumpkin patch on a bulletin board if desired.
- Observe and record the children’s fine motor skill. How did they go about spreading the paint? Did they attempt to repeat any of the vocabulary words back to you?
Note: Please provide appropriate supervision to the children in your care when completing all activities. You will need to decide what types of activities are safe for the children in your care. Appropriate and reasonable caution should be used when providing art and sensory experiences for children. Toddlers require special caution, only use non-toxic materials, and do not allow toddlers to put things in their mouths that are a choking hazard.
Click on the course icon for enrollment information.