Sight Word Hunt: Corn Sensory Bin
Lesson plan developed by Ms. Erika Geelhoed, BA Ed
* Lesson plan objective and assessment can be adapted to use this activity with preschoolers.
Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts: Reading Standards: Foundational Skills (K–5)
Kindergartners: Phonics and Word Recognition:
- Prepare for the activity by creating the sensory bin.
- Add several cups of dried corn to the empty plastic bin.
- Add in the plastic letters and scoops.
- Create and print off the word mats (you will want to use words that you are currently working on that are developmentally appropriate).
- Encourage the children to search for the different letters in the corn and place them on top of the letters on the card.
- Once they have found all the letters in the word, the children should verbally decode/say the word.
- Record what words the children were able to read and which ones they struggled with. You can go back and work with them on different sounds and patterns in small groups or one-on-one.
Note: Please provide appropriate supervision to the children in your care when completing all activities. You will need to decide what types of activities are safe for the children in your care. Appropriate and reasonable caution should be used when providing art and sensory experiences for children. Toddlers require special caution, only use non-toxic materials, and do not allow toddlers to put things in their mouths that are a choking hazard.
Click on the course icon for enrollment information.